1. Coaching – horrible game plan 2 weeks in a row
a. Tackling is bad (what’s with that high school type of arm tackling?)
b. DB’s play too far off the wide receivers (which is a coaching decision)
c. No pressure – again, coaching problem – bring in some heat from linebackers or DB’s – mix it up
3. Offense – line is the problem. They are all seniors are big, but can’t pummel the defense to open spaces for the runners and give a lot of time for the QB (if you notice, Foles is usually not sacked because he quickly gets rid of ball, not because of the extensive time he gets)
4. Special Teams – do I really have to say anything? An unnoticed problem is what Travis Cobb has become. Did you notice twice he stopped on kickoff returns and reversed? You do that on punt returns, not kickoffs, where you have to just go full steam ahead
5. Recruiting – They have to step it up, but I do not know how you convince a high school blue chipper to go to Arizona, when he can go to USC, Stanford, Texas, etc. You are stuck with an instate player that wants to stay in Arizona or a second tier player. Therefore, since the caliber of player will be one notch below the big boys, you better have top notch coaching (there’s the problem again – coaching).
6. Bowl - Arizona is extremely lucky that OSU has to play USC, Stanford and Oregon and that CAL has to play Stanford. If Washington wins out, they’ll be 5-4. We know AZ will lose to Oregon, so if ASU beats UA in last game of the year (not a surprise considering how well ASU really played the whole year and how over rated UA is), UA finishes with identical 4-5 conference records, with ASU having the tie breaker because of the win head to head. Good job of preparing your team Stoops. Hello Kraft-why-do-you-even-have-this-loser-of a-bowl game.