Friday proved to be an exhilarating day in the Pac-12 Tournament. Both semifinals games went into overtime and both games featured odd, yet exciting, finishes. Yet the top two seeds in the tournament -- Oregon and Utah -- managed to advance. They'll play in the Pac-12 Tournament championship game at 8:00 PM MST on Saturday night.
Despite being down by four points to the Oregon Ducks with 10 seconds left, the Arizona Wildcats were able to force overtime after Gabe York nailed a three with less than a second to go, and Mark Tollefsen stole the ensuing inbounds pass and was fouled while putting up a desperation shot. With Arizona down by one, Tollefsen had a chance to not only tie the game, but win it. He clanked the first free throw, and made the second. But the Ducks, who controlled the game all up until the very final moments of the second half, would take control in overtime, winning 95-89. Here's our complete recap of the game.
- And here's what Sean Miller had to say after the game, along with Kadeem Allen and Kaleb Tarczewski.
- The second game of the night proved to be similar. With the Utah Utes down by two to the California Bears with about four seconds left, Lorenzo Bonam went coast-to-coast and laid the ball up and in just before the buzzer sounded, forcing overtime, where the Utes would go onto to win 82-78. Here's a full recap of the game from our friends at Block U.
- 2017 four-star QB Braxton Burmeister has decommitted from Arizona. It's not much of a surprise.
- Arizona baseball won the first game of a three-game series against Sacramento State, 3-1. Catcher Ryan Haug had a clutch two-run single to put the Wildcats ahead in the 7th inning, and J.C. Cloney and Bobby Dalbec were terrific on the mound for Arizona. The Wildcats are now 9-4 on the season, and will play Sac State again on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Hi Corbett.
- Meanwhile, Arizona softball's first game of the Maverick Class tournament in Arlington, TX was postponed due to rain. The Wildcats were supposed to play Samford, and will now play a double-header on Saturday, with the first game starting at 2:30 p.m. MST.
- The Arizona GymCats beat BYU in their final regular season competition of the year. They will now head to Seattle to compete in the Pac-12 Championship, which begins on March 19.
- Pau Tonnesen and the women's relay squad will be in Birmingham this weekend for the NCAA Indoor Championships.
- Strong March and April winds mean wildfire season is here
- West-side neighborhoods have had a "string of car break-ins"
- "The best Davis-Monthan Air Force Base has to offer" will be on display at the Thunder and Lightning Over Arizona show this weekend.
Beautiful night at Hi Corbett. #typical #BearDown pic.twitter.com/NXCPCVtYi8— Blair Willis (@BlairWillisUA) March 12, 2016