Both of the teams involved in the Cactus Kickoff are having "QB competitions" this fall, but the BYU Cougars’ version is at a much higher level, at least according to Bruce Feldman. Over at FOX, Feldman has been ranking position groups, and his quarterback rankings came out this week. He has BYU as the third-best situation in the entire sport of college football. Why?
Cougars legend Ty Detmer returns to Provo to take over the Cougars’ offense, which’ll mean less up-tempo stuff and bringing back more of a pro-style approach. Detmer has two compelling options in Taysom Hill, arguably the fastest guy on the team, and Tanner Mangum, the guy who jumped in and played extremely well after Hill went down with a season-ending foot injury last year. Detmer has said Hill (now playing in his third offensive system at BYU) can be a weapon like Steve Young. He has over 2,200 career rushing yards and accounted for 55 TDs (24 on the ground). Mangum, more of a pocket passer, completed 60 percent of his passes and threw for almost 3,400 yards last fall in relief.
- The Arizona Cardinals will host the Wildcats up in the Phoenix area this week as the team looks to avoid Tucson’s poor forecast and to get some time away from campus during this tough time
- We rounded up some of the thoughts shared by Zach Hemmila’s friends, family and teammates after the offensive lineman’s untimely death
- Donte’ Williams has quite the reputation in the recruiting world
- Kevin Cordes qualified for the 200-meter breaststroke final that will be on Wednesday night at 6:03 PM PT. He will swim in Lane 2, just like he did in the 100-meter final
- Women’s soccer has been picked to finish 5th in the Pac-12 this year
- Be sure to get your votes in for the Final Four of our Tucson Restaurant Tournament
- Tuesday morning’s flooding seems to have been quite epic. I missed it by being in the Fred Fox School of Music for the morning and by lunch time everything was dry and sunny
- Shoutout to the Pima County Supervisor for being one of the people having their cars swept away by the water. There were about 45 cars that got stuck in the water. The Stone underpass claimed another victim