It’s Monday, so let’s recap all that happened regarding the Arizona Wildcats last week.
- A 71-47 win over Northern Arizona on Friday night has the ‘Cats heading into conference play with a 10-1 record, their best start since 2011-12.
- However, the biggest question coach Adia Barnes’s team will have to answer is if it can stay afloat in the harsh waters of the Pac-12. Arizona’s non-conference schedule was one of the weakest in the country.
- UA hosts No. 17 Arizona State on Sunday, Dec. 30 to open conference play.
- While Cate Reese and Aari McDonald are forming a great duo, sophomore Sam Thomas is looking to make it a trio.
- Nick Quintana was named Third Team Preseason All-American by the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. CBN ranked UA No. 26 in its preseason rankings.
- Congratulations to UA softball alum Eva Watson for getting engaged at the most magical place on earth: Disneyland. Watson and fellow alum Danielle O’ Toole are assistant coaches at the University of San Diego.
- Here is a Hillenbrand Stadium update:
- Senior goalkeeper Lainey Burdett has entered the 2019 NWSL Draft, giving her a chance to become the first Wildcat drafted into the league. Burdett, a four-year starter, is Arizona’s all-time shutouts leader. The draft is on Jan. 10 in Chicago.
- What a week it was for the program. It was early signing period in college football, but moreover for the ‘Cats, they got the biggest news from Khalil Tate. Tate, who had been rumored to be on his way out of Tucson, will remain with the Wildcats for his senior season. His return will make the QB position an interesting one as UA signed Grant Gunnell, one of the most prolific QBs in Texas High School Football history.
- We have all the early signing day coverage you need. From who UA signed to our writers breaking down the commits. We also have Gabe Encinas’ take on which incoming players will produce right away for UA.
- Former Dallas Cowboys’ running back DeMarco Murray could join the UA staff as the RB coach. Reports broke this week about this possible hire, and Sumlin confirmed he is a candidate.
- Cornerback Jace Whittaker and defensive lineman PJ Johnson are expected to return to UA.
- Nathan Eldridge announced he’s transferring to Oregon State. As a grad transfer, he’ll be eligible to play immediately.
- If citizens Philadelphia haven’t started funding for a Nick Foles statue, maybe they should now. Foles led the Eagles over the Texans 32-30 on Sunday to keep the Eagles’ playoff hopes alive.
- Arizona closed out its non-conference schedule with two wins, but the last win over UC Davis gave more questions about this team. Check out our basketball section for more coverage.
- UA hosts Colorado on Jan. 3 to open Pac-12 play.
- Ira Lee spent Sunday in Pima County Jail as a part of his plea agreement for a DUI citation this summer. Lee was sentenced to four days in jail on Dec. 6, but will serve the remaining three days on house arrest. He’ll pay $1,492 in fines, be on probation for one year and drive with an interlock for a year.
- Omar Thielemans is transferring to Wright State.
- Rawle Alkins scored his first NBA points in the Bulls’ win vs. the Cavaliers. Lauri Markkanen had a huge game.