It’s Monday which means it’s time to recap the week that was for the Arizona Wildcats. Let us know in the comment section if we missed anything!
- Arizona (35-7, 12-0 Pac-12) extended its winning streak to 17-games with a road sweep over Grand Canyon over the weekend.
- Taylor McQuillin and Alyssa Denham tossed shutout on Friday, while Hanah Bowen notched her first UA career complete game win on Saturday. The ‘Cats won game one 6-0, game two 2-0, and game three 8-1.
- T Statman was in the lineup vs GCU after taking a pitch to the face against Utah at the beginning of the month.
- Here is our feature on the ‘underrated’ Malia Martinez, who is finally getting the recognition she deserves for her breakout season.
- Arizona’s pitching staff is learning to expect the unexpected when it comes to who will start and what the rotation will look like on any given day.
- This week, UA hosts a surging Stanford team Thursday through Saturday.
- The NPF Draft is Monday at 5 p.m. MST and McQuillin is expected to be selected.
- Arizona (18-16, 6-9 Pac-12) had a four-game winning streak heading into its series with California, but back-to-back losses squashed it.
- The ‘Cats lost 10-7 on Friday to the Golden Bears and 7-3 on Saturday night. Before the losses to Cal, UA beat Grand Canyon University 14-13 on Tuesday.
- UA salvaged the series with a 4-2 win on Sunday, thanks to a stellar outing from Andrew Nardi.
- The team is in Corvallis, Oregon Thursday-Saturday to play No. 4 Oregon State.
- Arizona is looking to finalize its 2019-20 roster and Adia Barnes expects to add two transfers this offseason. Read about that, Aari McDonald’s and more here.
- Barnes recapped the season and previewed what’s next for her program.
- UA beat GCU 6-0 on Saturday in the spring season finale. The ‘Cats finished the spring with a record of 3-1 and scored 16 goals in those four games. With eight starters returning and a top-25 recruiting class coming in, next fall could be a big season for the Wildcats.
- The ‘Cats are in Santa Cruz, California today for the Western Intercollegiate. The three-day tournament has 13 teams playing in it.
- Ethan Marcus, David Laskin, Brad Reeves, Briggs Duce, Trevor Werbylo, and Tianlang Guan will hit the links for UA.
- Arizona won its second-straight Pac-12 match with a 4-1 win over Oregon last Sunday.
- Jonas Ziverts, Filip Malbasic, Igor Karpovets, Alejandro Reguant, Carlos Hassey, and Jonas Maier got wins for UA.
- UA made it three-straight conference wins on Friday with a 4-0 win over Utah on senior day.
- The ‘Cats are in Los Angeles on Saturday to play UCLA.
- The Arizona women’s tennis team is ranked in the top 50 by the ITA for the first time since 2016 with a ranking of No. 50. The duo of Emma Wilson and Sophia Thomas are ranked No. 61.
- A 5-2 win over Oregon on Saturday has the ‘Cats riding a two-match winning streak heading into the season finale against Arizona State in Tempe on Saturday.
Track and Field
- Jordan Geist set an Arizona school record in the shot put on Saturday at the Triton Invitational in San Diego on Saturday with a distance of 21.95m that won the shot-put invitational contest. He also threw a season-best mark in the discus throw with a toss of 55.54m.
- Arizona is in L.A. Thursday and Friday for the Mt. Sac Relays.
- The Wildcats went 4-0 in their final home tournament, beating New Mexico (twice), Ottawa, and Santa Clara. Arizona (21-4) has now recorded 21 victories, which makes them the winningest team in school history.
- The Wildcats, ranked 13th in last week’s poll, will head to Boise next weekend to compete against Sacramento State and host Boise State.
- Former UA player Luke Walton was unemployed for 24 hours after being fired as the head coach of the Lakers, He quickly landed with the Sacramento Kings.
- Keeping with former UA players-turned coaches, Joseph Blair won the G League championship with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. The RGV Vipers are the affiliate of the Houston Rockets.
- Brandon Randolph announced he will test the NBA draft process, but the door is open for him to return to Arizona for his junior year if he chooses to.
- The NBA Playoffs have started, so we look how ‘Cats in the league did this season.
- Despite a season to forget, the Wall Street Journal reminded the country UA is still a top-10 program.
- Channing Frye caught-up with former Arizona players Richard Jefferson and Gilbert Arenas aka Agent Zero to relive the glory days in Tucson.
- The Red-Blue game is six months away, but here is where the ‘Cats are ranked in way-too-early polls and 2020 NCAA Tournament projections.
- Max Hazzard and Jordan Brown are two more names that could transfer to UA.
- Arizona held its spring game Saturday. Here is our recap.
- Here’s what Kevin Sumlin had to say afterwards.
- We list the top five breakout players from spring ball.
- Khary Crump committed to UA on Saturday. A three-star cornerback from California, Crump is rated as the 125th CB in the 2020 class.
- Starting center Josh McCauley is no longer a walk-on.
- Cornerback Azizi Hearn is no longer on the UA roster. He started the final three games of 2018.
- Special teams star Thomas Reid III is hoping to earn a bigger role this year.
- STUD Jalen Harris had a big spring game, and is on track to have a breakout season.
- Who will be Arizona’s go-receiver in 2019? That is anyone’s guess at this point.