It’s Monday so it’s time to recap all that happened regarding the Arizona Wildcats last week. Let us know in the comment section if we missed anything!
- With a sweep of Stanford, Arizona (38-7, 15-0 Pac-12) extended its winning streak to 20 games. The sweep keeps the ‘Cats atop the conference standings.
- Friday’s 9-1 win was the 1,600th in the historic career of Mike Candrea. He is second softball coach in NCAA history to reach that number.
- We have takeaways from the sweep over Stanford.
- Arizona ace Taylor McQuillin was drafted sixth overall by the Cleveland Comets in the NPF Draft. At one point, McQuillin wasn’t sure if she wanted to go pro.
- Ever since stepping on campus two years ago, the now-junior class has been nothing short of special. The five position players in the class have outscored a total of 261 teams this season.
- UA heads to Berkeley this weekend to take on the California Golden Bears, who are 24-22 overall and 3-14 in the Pac-12.
- Adia Barnes will have to find two new assistant coaches as April Phillips and Morgan Valley were hired away by other programs.
- Arizona was swept by second-ranked Oregon State in Corvallis. The Wildcats (18-19, 6-12 Pac-12) blew a late lead in game one before being blown out in games two and three. Check out our baseball section for coverage.
- Grand Canyon is in town on Tuesday and then the ‘Cats visit Stanford, the top team in conference.
- Arizona finished second to USC in the Pac-12 championship over the week. Ya Chun Chang was the highest-placing Wildcat by finishing in fourth.
- On Wednesday, the ‘Cats begin phase one of defending their national title as the field selection for the NCAA Regional Championships begins.
- Arizona placed eighth in the Western Intercollegiate. Tianlang Guan had the highest placing by a UA golfer, finishing tied for 33rd.
- Monday through Wednesday, the team is in Oregon for the Pac-12 championship.
- Arizona soccer added two transfers, both of whom made their conference’s all-freshman team in 2018.
- The SandCats swept their fourth straight tournament to close the regular season with a 24-4 record heading into next week’s Pac-12 tournament in Los Angeles. The Wildcats beat Sacramento State (twice) and Boise State in Boise.
Track and Field
- Tatum Waggoner finished eighth overall in the 400-meter dash at the Mt. Sac Relays in Los Angeles. Her time was 52.88 in a mixed field of professional and collegiate runners.
- Carlos Villarreal posted a personal-best time of 3:37.22 to set the No. 2 mark on the NCAA, IAAF and all-time Arizona list.
- UA hosts the Desert Heat Classic on Saturday.
- Former UA safety Isaiah Hayes announced he is heading to play at Louisville.
- We have a breakdown of new UA commit Khary Crump.
- Salpointe lineman Bruno Fina received an offer from UA. His father, John, is in the Arizona Hall of Fame.
- UA athletic director Dave Heeke is hoping renovate the west side of Arizona Stadium to give fans a “whole new experience.”
- Apparently some of Allonzo Trier’s veteran Knick teammates did not like him.
- Several transfers removed UA as a possible destination.
- Arizona is “showing a lot of interest” in Nevada transfer Jordan Brown, who is considering visiting the UA.
- Florida Gulf Coast transfer Haanif Cheatham picked Nebraska over Arizona and some other schools.
- Zeke Nnaji signed with Arizona, and Sean Miller raved about Nnaji’s versatilty.
- A federal judged ruled that Miller won’t need to testify in the upcoming federal trial.