It’s Monday, which means it is time to recap all that happened surrounding the Arizona Wildcats last week.
Let us know in the comment section if we missed anything!
- Arizona (45-12) went 3-0 to win the Tucson Regional.
- The ‘Cats beat Harvard 5-1 on Friday and Auburn 2-1 on Saturday. Taylor McQuillin got the win in both games.
- Auburn and Arizona took the field again on Sunday and the ‘Cats took care of business. Thanks to a three-home run day from Jessie Harper, UA won 12-3 to clinch the Tucson Regional and advance to the Super Regionals. It is the 31st regional championship for UA in the last 33 years.
- Harper is now the NCAA leader in home runs and has a legit shot to become UA’s all-time leader.
- Arizona hosts 11-seed Ole Miss in Supers this weekend. The dates and times are to be determined, but here is an in-depth look at how the two teams stack up.
- Reyna Carranco returned to the lineup Saturday after missing two weeks with a broken hand and thumb. The Pac-12 batting champion received a standing ovation from the Rita Hillenbrand faithful, which is something she and coach Mike Candrea had never seen happen for a UA player.
- Alyssa Palomino-Cardoza was named Pac-12 Player of the Week after her mammoth series against UCLA.
- Friends and teammates since high school, Palomino-Cardoza and Taylor McQuillin are planning to make the most out of the games they have left together.
- Seven Wildcats were selected to NFCA All-Region selections.
- The defending national champions are tied for fourth place after the second round of NCAA Championships. Round three begins Monday morning.
- Bianca Pagdanganan was tied for second overall in the tournament heading into play on Sunday. Here’s how UA’s entire quintet is faring.
- Better late than never is the motto Arizona (29-24, 12-14 Pac-12) is using right now.
- The BatCats extended their winning streak to seven games by sweeping Sam Houston State and Penn State this season.
- Baseball America put UA in the at-large bid conversation, but that was prior to sweeping Penn State. Should UA sweep Washington State in the final series of the season, there’s a real chance they will make the NCAA tournament.
- The three-game series between UA and WSU begins Thursday in Pullman. The Cougars are in last place, with two conference wins.
- The season is over for the team after placing ninth in the Louisville Regional, shooting 17-over-par.
- Trevor Werbylo shot an even-par 71 in his final round. He finished in a tie for second place, one shot behind the individual winner. His second-place finish is the highest by an UA golfer in a regional play since Tarquin MacManus won a regional in 2009.
- Werbylo missed advancing to the NCAA Championships as an individual by one stroke.
Track and Field
- Saturday night saw the conclusion of Arizona concluded the Tucson Elite Classic with just one UA participant. Grayson Fleming was in the hammer throw where he hit a PR of 66.31m.
- On Thursday, UA is in Sacramento, California for the NCAA West Preliminary Round.
- The Wildcats have scheduled a home-and-home series with Texas. UA plays in Austin in November and the Longhorns will be in McKale Center during the 2019-20 season. It is a big scheduling shift for Arizona, which has only faced two major-conference teams in non-conference play in Adia Barnes’ first three seasons.
- Aari McDonald participated in the USA Basketball Pan American Games Team Trials
- Shawn Poindexter, PJ Johnson, and Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles signed their first NFL contracts.
- Defensive tackle Kyon Barrs committed to the UA, a much-needed late addition to the 2019 class.
- Deandre Ayton is a finalist for the NBA Rookie of the Year award.
- Andre Iguodala is questionable for Monday’s Game 4 against the Portland Trailblazers after suffering a calf injury in game three of the Western Conference Finals. An MRI revealed no tear for the former UA star. The Golden State Warriors lead the series 3-0.
- Kentucky transfer Jemarl Baker Jr. committed to Arizona, and a UK insider gave us the scoop on the newest Arizona Wildcat.
- We look at how Baker affects Arizona’s scholarship situation.
- Allonzo Trier and Kobi Simmons had some thoughts about mismanaged college players.