It’s Monday which means it’s time to recap another week of Arizona Wildcats athletics. Let us know in the comment section if we missed anything!
- Former UA aces Danielle O’Toole and Taylor McQuillin qualified for the 2020 Olympics with Team Mexico. Current Arizona catcher Dejah Mulipola will likely be in Tokyo too as a member of Team USA.
- After having the start of the season pushed back a week, Arizona opened the year with a 6-0 win over Weber State on Friday in Tempe. All six of those goals were scored in the first half, setting a program record.
- Two days later Arizona pulled away late to beat Tennessee Tech, 3-0.
- Sophomore Brooke Wilson leads the Wildcats with three goals. Fellow sophomore Iliana Hocking scored in both games, the first goals of her career.
- Here are some photos from the weekend.
- Here’s a feature on Hocking, who is bound for a breakout year.
- Arizona was upset by Samford in the Cactus Classic finale on Saturday, and Dave Rubio was blunt about the potential implications of that loss.
- Before that, the Wildcats handily beat Appalachian State and Loyola Marymount on Friday.
- Arizona has had a long line of dominant outside hitters, and junior Paige Whipple is ready to carry the torch.
- Arizona will not be playing in October’s Mexican Baseball Fiesta as originally planned, thanks to some NCAA scheduling limitations.
"We are greatly disappointed to not be competing in this year's Mexican Baseball Fiesta. We are strong supporters of the event and look forward to competing again when the schedule allows." -Head coach Jay Johnson— Arizona Baseball (@ArizonaBaseball) August 29, 2019
- Several former Wildcats were honored at the minor-league level. We will have a story summing those up later.
- Adam Green asks what’s next for Arizona football after the loss to Hawaii.
- Former UA defensive back Robert Golden has offered to coach the secondary. Why not?
- History shows Arizona has had a tough time making a bowl in seasons it lost its opener.
- Only Washington State has less talent than Arizona in the Pac-12, per 247Sports.
- Here’s a look at how Arizona’s commits performed in the first week of high school football.
- In better news, special teams ace Thomas Reid III was put on scholarship.
- Before cut day, the Packers traded Reggie Gilbert to the Titans.
- Here’s a look at the former UA players who made 53-man rosters.
- Former Arizona safety Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles did not, but he quickly signed to the 49ers practice squad.
- The bye week is over, so here’s the first look at the NAU Lumberjacks.
- Historically, Kevin Sumlin’s teams have not benefitted much from a bye week.
- Gabe revisited some of Arizona’s past recruiting classes, including 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Jason Gardner was arrested for a DWI and resigned as IUPUI’s head coach.
- 4-star guard Adam Miller visted Arizona
- Sean Miller called Stone Gettings a “matchup nightmare.”
- A bunch of former players were in town, including Lauri Markkanen, Mustafa Shakur, and Andre Iguodala.
The Markkanen Family returns for a visit with the Wildcat Family. #APlayersProgram pic.twitter.com/ec2w7JFrql— Arizona Basketball (@APlayersProgram) September 1, 2019
Look who else is on campus‼️— Arizona Athletics (@AZATHLETICS) August 29, 2019
Bear Down, @StafShakur! pic.twitter.com/Btf204FdG8
Thank you @andre for the visit and your powerful message. #APlayersProgram pic.twitter.com/BTzbGQWVCi— Arizona Basketball (@APlayersProgram) August 29, 2019