No. 18 Arizona men’s tennis beat No. 17 Kentucky 4-2 on Saturday in Lexington to advance to the third round of the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.
UA will play the winner of No. 3 Tennessee-Memphis in the next round on Monday, May 17 at 7 a.m. PT in Orlando.
By helping secure the doubles point, senior Alejandro Reguant broke the Arizona record for most overall wins (143).
“Beating Kentucky on their home courts shows who the true Wildcats are,” said UA head coach Clancy Shields. “Incredible battle, but this team’s got the biggest heart I’ve ever seen. When I look at this team, I see hours and hours of hard work, especially this guy (Reguant). It’s been an incredible journey, I love this team to death. I’m so proud for this guy to be going to Orlando and Arizona’s first time in the Sweet Sixteen.”
SHIELDS STATEMENT. (Featuring the Record Breaker) pic.twitter.com/4or35ccatG— Arizona Men's Tennis (@ArizonaMTennis) May 8, 2021
- No. 1 Liam Draxl (UK) def. No. 45 Gustaf Strom (UA) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
- No. 90 Jonas Ziverts (UA) def. No. 14 Gabriel Diallo (UK) 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
- No. 33 Millen Hurrion (UK) def. Filip Malbasic (UA) 6-1, 6-4
- Herman Hoeyeraal (UA) def. No. 85 Cesar Bourgois (UK) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
- Alejandro Reguant (UA) unf. Nick Beaty (UK) 4-6, 6-1, 6-6
- Carlos Hassey (UA) def. Alexandre Leblanc (UK) 6-3, 6-4
- Reguant/Hassey (UA) def. No. 6 Diallo/Bourgois (UK) 6-4
- Ziverts/Hoeyeraal (UA) def. Draxl/Hurrion (UK) 6-4
- Lapadat/Leblanc (UK) def. Lagaev/Malbasic (UA) 6-4
WE ARE STILL DANCING #BearDown pic.twitter.com/btojuAe4SS— Arizona Men's Tennis (@ArizonaMTennis) May 8, 2021