One of the main storylines throughout college baseball's first weekend of postseason play will be the lack of a Regional site in the west.
So how did those western teams do? Let's take a quick tour around the bracket:
- Arizona beats Sam Houston State 7-3. The Wildcats got hits from everyone in the lineup, including a season-high three home runs to down the Bearkats. Nathan Bannister also threw seven scoreless. They will face Louisiana-Lafayette at 5 PM PT on Saturday.
- (3) Long Beach State beats (2) Florida Atlantic 5-1. Chris Mathewson took a no-hitter into the 7th inning for LBSU. The Dirtbags get Miami at 4 PM PT in Coral Gables on Saturday.
- (4) Utah beat (1) Ole Miss 6-5 in ten innings. This was one of the two one-seeds to lose on Friday. Rhode Island also beat South Carolina. The Utes are such an enigma. They'll play Boston College in a 3 vs. 4 winner's game on Saturday....the best kind of winner's game.
- (3) New Mexico beats (2) Dallas Baptist 12-6. The Lobos lost to DBU 33-8 earlier this year, so not a bad way to repay the favor. UNM will face host Texas Tech at 4 PM PT Saturday.
Both winners and losers
- 2) UCSB beats (3) Washington 3-2 in 14 innings. The Gauchos took out the Huskies with this Austin Bush HR after many hours of baseball
Hero.— NCAA Baseball (@NCAACWS) June 3, 2016
UCSB's Austin Bush ends it in the 14th! #RoadToOmahahttps://t.co/UszjOY9ijQ
They also had this ridiculous play earlier in the game.
UC Santa Barbara's Clay Fisher has UNLIMITED range! #SCTop10 pic.twitter.com/7IklIwZ8AC— NCAA Baseball (@NCAACWS) June 3, 2016
UCSB will find out their opponent Saturday morning. Vanderbilt and Xavier pushed their game back a day because of weather. It should also help Vanderbilt as they recover from the tragic news of freshman pitcher Donny Everett dying in a drowning accident.
"That's horrific," Arizona head coach Jay Johnson told me of the situation at Vanderbilt. "It's your worst nightmare as a coach in terms of losing one of your players. My thoughts and prayers and our whole program's goes out to Vanderbilt and Coach (Tim) Corbin, Coach (Travis) Jewett and all of those players."
- (3) Gonzaga beats (2) ASU 5-1. Seth Martinez struggled early, and the Sun Devils just couldn't make up the deficit. ASU will play Oral Roberts in an elimination game. Gonzaga will meet TCU.
- (1) LSU beats (4) Utah Valley 7-1. The Wolverines will not know their opponent until Saturday. It will be the loser of the Rice/Southeastern Louisiana game.
- (2) Coastal Carolina beats (3) St. Mary's 5-2. Unfortunately Jay Johnson's best friend Eric Valenzuela wasn't able to get the Gaels a win against the Chanticleers to open the tournament.
Neither winners nor losers
- (2) Cal State Fullerton and (3) Louisiana Tech were scoreless in the 7th inning before having the game suspended until Saturday.
All in all, pretty successful day for the West Coast teams despite all of them having to travel long distances to play.