Arizona’s MLB Training Ground hashtag lived up to its billing this week as eight Wildcats were selected in the 2018 MLB Draft.
Six players were selected in the first 10 rounds, which was a new school record and tied for the most among any school in the country.
Let’s go through the selections...
Current UA players drafted
- 1B Alfonso Rivas — 4th round, 113th overall by Athletics
- RHP Cody Deason — 5th round, 162nd overall by Astros
- RHP Michael Flynn — 6th round, 174th overall by Pirates
- C Cesar Salazar — 7th round, 222nd overall by Astros
- RHP Tylor Megill — 8th round, 230th overall by Mets
- OF Cal Stevenson — 10th round, 296th pick by Blue Jays
- IF Travis Moniot — 17th round, 498th overall by White Sox
- C/OF Ryan Haug — 27th round, 804th overall by Pirates
Rivas, Deason, Flynn, and Salazar are all juniors, so they can opt to return to Arizona for another year instead of signing with their respective teams.
Rivas and Salazar are expected to sign professionally, however. Their slot values are $493,000 and $187,000, respectively.
Deason and Flynn have a decision to make. Their slot values are $306,100 and $275,600, respectively.
Arizona signees selected
- LHP Matthew Liberatore — 1st round, 16th overall by Rays
- 3B Nolan Gorman — 1st round, 19th overall by Cardinals
- C Michael Berglund — 8th round, 240th overall by Rays
- OF Ryan Holgate 32nd round, 964th overall by Twins
- RHP George Arias — 34th round, 1,011th overall by Padres
- RHP Ian Mejia — 35th round, 1,040th, overall by Mets
- C Austin Wells — 35th round, 1,057th overall by Yankees
- RHP Bryce Collins — 39th round, 1,174th overall by Twins
- LHP Andrew Nardi — 39th round, 1181th overall by Yankees
Liberatore and Gorman will surely sign with their respective teams, which is a big — but expected — loss for the Wildcats.
Berglund, a transfer from Cisco Junior College, is leaning toward signing with the Rays, per this report. His slot value is $165,600.
The rest of UA’s recruits were drafted in the last eight rounds, so they are more likely than not to attend school, though you never know.