The Arizona Wildcats need a new assistant coach, and you can apply.
Just like every other job opening, Arizona officially posted the “Associate/Assistant Coach, Men's Basketball” position on UA Careers on Monday.
There aren’t a ton of minimum requirements required for this one, so maybe some of you will be qualified to apply:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least three years of coaching experience at the college level or higher
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
While the minimum is three years of coaching experience, it appears Sean Miller prefers someone that has five or more years of experience at the college or professional level. We hear Lorenzo Romar meets those requirements.
So what are the exact duties of the associate head coach of a highly-regarded basketball program? Probably exactly what you would expect:
- Assist with on-floor coaching duties
- Assist with day-to-day preparation of practice
- Responsible for underclassmen, recruiting lists, and transfer lists
- Organize recruiting strategies and help coordinate and target specific recruits
- Scouting and game preparation against opponents
- Coordinate film editing of front line players and opponents
- Contact with high school and junior college coaches on a consistent basis
- Secure all transcripts and schedules from all recruits
- Respond to correspondence
- Assist with summer camps, individual and group instruction and film work
- Interact with donors and supporters of the program
- Speak to civic and community groups
- Assist with weekly phone calls to Recruits
- Counsel and encourage student-athletes
- Work with C.A.T.S. Academics and assist with any academic needs of student-athletes
- Work closely with Compliance and stay abreast of all NCAA Rules and Regulations
- Monitor recruiting paperwork; Clearinghouse 48H forms, phone logs, etc.
- Assist with all official and unofficial recruiting visits
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Coach
I think my favorite is “respond to correspondence”. You are not allowed to just ignore phone calls, emails, and hand-written letters.
With the posting date being April 3, there will not be any official news on this front until Thursday, April 13 at the earliest, since the job has to be posted for ten days.
If you apply, please let us know how that goes for you.