Aaron Gordon dazzled in the 2016 NBA Dunk Contest, and apparently he has decided to give it another go. The Orlando Magic and former Arizona Wildcats forward will be participating in the 2020 dunk contest in Chicago, according to Oliver Maroney.
Being told that Aaron Gordon is planning to participate in this year’s dunk contest, per league sources. Gordon initially told @ChrisBHaynes about entering this season’s dunk contest last year on his podcast.— Oliver Maroney (@OMaroneyBIG3) January 29, 2020
This lines up with what Gordon told ESPN in August.
Should Aaron Gordon have won the 2016 dunk contest? Will @ZachLaVine give him a rematch when the All Star Game comes to Chicago in February? @Double0AG comes on #TheJump and says he's in for Chicago 2020 - is Zach? pic.twitter.com/GGdecADuIC— Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) August 13, 2019
The event is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 15 in the United Center. It is not clear who else will be participating, though other rumored candidates include Miami’s Derrick Jones Jr., Memphis’ Ja Morant, Lakers’ Dwight Howard, and Chicago’s Zach LaVine .
If you recall, Gordon threw down some unbelievable dunks in the 2016 dunk contest before controversially losing to LaVine in the final round (the highlights of which you can watch below).
Gordon, 24, is currently in his sixth season with the Magic. The former No. 4 overall pick is averaging 13.3 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 0.7 steals per game while shooting 42 percent from the field, 29 percent from 3, and 66 percent from the free-throw line.
The Magic are currently in seventh in the Eastern Conference. Gordon is in the second year of a four-year, $76 million contract. He was a member of the All-Pac-12 Team and All-Freshman Team in his lone season at Arizona when the Wildcats reached the Elite Eight.