While the University of Arizona currently has a campus-wide hiring freeze due to COVID-19, Arizona Wildcats athletic director Dave Heeke indicated that exceptions would be made for the men’s basketball and volleyball programs, which both have assistant coaching vacancies to fill.
And it looks like at least one of those hirings will be made official soon. The UA posted the men’s basketball coaching position on Tuesday, meaning a hire can be announced within the next 10 days (the state-required minimum job posting period).
The Wildcats are expected to hire UA legend Jason Terry to replace Justin Gainey, who left for Marquette, but anyone can apply for the opening. So if you think you can help Sean Miller scheme against a zone defense or Christian Koloko fine tune his post game, here’s your chance to make it happen!
The UA says preferred candidates have at least three years of coaching and/or playing experience at the college level (or higher).
These are the job requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of coaching or playing experience at the division I college level or higher
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Commitment to academic and athletic success
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Sound written and verbal communication skills
- Possess a working knowledge of Pac-12 rules
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions
- Dedication and motivation to initiate, lead and support value-added projects
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, and has a positive demeanor
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including the ability to plan, establish priorities and successfully manage multiple priority projects
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all organizational levels, and project a positive, professional attitude
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends