The No. 10 Arizona Wildcats (10-2, 8-2) host the Utah Utes (3-8, 2-8) on Friday afternoon. It should be a fairly routine affair, but head coach Adia Barnes and her players believe that you can never look past any opponent based on record, especially when most of that record was compiled again Pac-12 teams.
“Utah, they execute the pick and roll pretty well,” Aari McDonald said. “And they have great shooters, so it’s kind of hard to have help side because they spread the floor. They have a good point guard, Dru Gylten. She leads them and she’s been playing with them, like they have great chemistry together. And so it’s kind of hard to help off people when they’re shooting the ball over 40 percent.”
The Utes have two players on national watch lists, junior Gylten and sophomore shooting guard Brynna Maxwell. It wasn’t enough when the two teams met in Salt Lake City where the Wildcats dominated the Utes 77-60.
“Utah is very good team,” Barnes said. “Their record doesn’t indicate how talented they are. They’re a very dangerous offensive team. It’s hard to guard.”
How to follow the action
- Date/Time: Friday, Jan. 22, 2021 at 4 p.m. MST
- Location: McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz.
- TV: Pac-12 Networks (Pac-12 Network, Pac-12 Arizona, Pac-12 Mountain)
- Radio: Derrick Palmer will have the call on KTUC 1400 AM or online at TuneIn
- Stats: In-game stats are available on Arizona Live Stats
- Twitter: Follow us at @AZDesertSwarm. You can also follow our editor at @RKelapire and our reporter at @KimDoss71 for coverage during the game and throughout the season.