The FIBA U19 World Cup entered the knockout phase on Wednesday and two Arizona Wildcats helped their teams advance to the quarterfinals in Latvia.
Azuolas Tubelis (Lithuania) and Bennedict Mathurin (Canada) both scored in double figures as their countries cruised to wins over Iran and Puerto Rico, respectively.
Tubelis had 13 points, six rebounds, three assists, two steals, and a block in 19 minutes. He shot 6 for 13 from the field, missing his two 3-point attempts. Lithuania won 96-53.
Azuolas and Lithuania beat Iran by 43 earlier today and will play France on Friday at the #FIBAU19 World Cup.— Arizona Basketball (@ArizonaMBB) July 7, 2021
Tubelis finished with 13 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists while playing just 19 minutes. #BearDown pic.twitter.com/OR0E8WGG9f
Mathurin had 13 points, three assists and three rebounds in an 86-56 win. He shot 4 for 7 from the field. Like Tubelis, he missed both of his 3-point attempts. Mathurin did throw down this alley-oop, though.
UA big man Oumar Ballo had a standout game for Mali, too, but they fell to France 86-52. Ballo logged 10 points, six rebounds, three blocks and three assists in 30 minutes. He was 4 for 10 from the field and 2 for 3 from the charity stripe.
France up 9 at halftime. Victor Wenbanyama sat almost the entire the half after picking up two fouls in the first 2 1/2 minutes. Oumar Ballo has 10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks. 12+6 for Frisch who has been the best player on the floor so far.— Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) July 7, 2021
The quarterfinals begin Friday after a rest day Thursday. Here’s when UA players will be in action.
- Canada (Mathurin) vs. Spain, 2 a.m. PT
- Mali (Ballo) vs. Iran, 4:30 a.m. PT (loser’s bracket)
- Lithuania (Tubelis) vs. France, 5 a.m. PT
How they have fared so far...
- Tubelis (Lithuania): 23.8 MPG, 17 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 2.5 APG, 2.3 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 2.5 TPG, 52.6 FG%, 2-5 3PT, 6-12 FT
- Mathurin (Canada): 24.8 MPG, 15 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.5 TPG, 45.5 FG%, 37.8 3PT%, 76.5 FT%
- Ballo (Mali): 28.9 MPG, 10 PPG, 8 RPG. 2.8 BPG, 2.5 APG. 1 SPG, 40.9 FG%, 4-8 FT
All three are starters.