Arizona Wildcats offensive lineman Zach Hemmila passed away in his sleep the night of August 7th or the morning of August 8th at the age of 22.
The Pima County Medical Examiner released its autopsy findings on Tuesday. Hemmila’s death was ruled an accident, and the result of a toxic combination of a painkiller (oxymorphone) and an anxiety medication (alprazolam).
Alprazolam is better known as the drug Xanax.
BREAKING: Arizona OL Zach Hemmila's death ruled accidental; combined toxic effects of oxymorphone (painkiller) + alprazolam (anxiety med).— Michael Lev (@MichaelJLev) September 27, 2016
According to AZCentral, the report also showed that chewing tobacco was found in Hemmila’s mouth, and that his lungs were notably congested.
The projected starting center was honored before the season opener against BYU, and again prior to the home opener vs. Grambling State. In addition to the team wearing helmet stickers and patches on the coaching staff’s hats, Hemmila’s number has been added to the Arizona Stadium facade above the south endzone.
You can watch the jersey presentation with his parents at the BYU game right here: