Arizona’s coaching staff took full advantage of having another weekend off from game duties, dispatching throughout the country on Friday and Saturday to check out player who may end up becoming part of the Wildcats’ 2020 recruiting class.
That includes coach Kevin Sumlin, who took to the skies via a new SwagCopter to visit recruits around the Phoenix area.
Will all that legwork pay off in the form of his commitments and help the 2020 class fill out? It can’t hurt, seeing as what Arizona currently has in that group isn’t particularly impressive.
Arizona has known commitments from 12 players in the 2020 class, which 247Sports currently ranks as 80th-best in the country and 11th in the Pac-12. And only three of them are ranked among the top 1,000 seniors in the country, none higher than 3-star tight end Drake Dabney at No. 777.
Dabney is one of three commits from Texas, the same number Arizona has from California. There are two in-state commits, including 3-star quarterback Will Plummer, with offensive linemen comprising 25 percent of the class.
Arizona currently has 71 players on scholarship with the departure of freshman defensive back Maurice Gaines. There are eight scholarship seniors on the roster, meaning the Wildcats would have at least 22 scholarships available for the 2020 class assuming no underclassmen were to leave early.
Here’s the list of Arizona’s known 2020 commitments:
- 3-star TE Drake Dabney (6-4.5, 228 lbs)
- 3-star RB Jalen John (5-11, 180 lbs)
- 3-star QB Will Plummer (6-2, 205 lbs)
- 3-star CB Alphonse Oywak (6-1, 175 lbs)
- 3-star ATH Dion Wilson (6-5.5, 252 lbs)
- 3-star OT Woody Jean (6-4, 287 lbs)
- 3-star C Josh Baker (6-3, 280 lbs)
- 3-star WR Dyelan Miller (6-3, 190 lbs)
- 3-star CB Khary Crump (5-10.5, 175 lbs)
- 3-star OT Cedric Melton (6-5, 262 lbs)
- 2-star K Tyler Loop (6-0, 160 lbs)
- 2-star LS Kameron Hawkins (5-11, 220 lbs)
Arizona’s 2019 class ranked 54th overall and 10th-best in the Pac-12.