Unless you’re the parent of an Arizona football player, you won’t be allowed to watch the Wildcats in Arizona Stadium this season. The Pac-12 has banned fans at sporting events until January due to the coronavirus pandemic.
But there’s good news: You can still be there in cardboard form!
The UA athletic department announced Sunday that fans can purchase personalized cutouts to support the program.
Arizona is charging $40 for a ZonaZoo cutout, $59 for a cutout along the west sideline, and $99 for a cutout along the end zone. You can even keep your cutout after the season if you are willing to pay an additional $25 shipping and handling fee.
Why would someone do this? Just so you can brag to your friends when you/your cutout makes it on TV? I mean, that’s one perk, but the main reason is to help the UA weather the coronavirus pandemic.
Athletic director Dave Heeke said in September that the athletic department will be “significantly short” on revenue this fiscal year. At one point, that deficit was estimated at $60-65 million, though a shortened fall football season (even without fans) will put a small dent into that. These cardboard cutouts can too, as the school says all proceeds will support student-athletes.
So purchase yours here and be sure the photo you choose follows these guidelines:
- No commercial advertising, including company names, apparel brands, hashtags, social media handles, phone numbers, logos, slogans, or other branding.
- Arizona Wildcats branded attire only. No third-party branding, including branding on apparel and in photo backgrounds. No attire or branding of other NCAA or professional sports teams.
- No offensive or negative comments about Arizona Athletics .
- No personal identification such as names, e-mail addresses, license plates, phone numbers, or street addresses.
- No names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person without permission.
- No political statements, logos, slogans, or other political content.
- No alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, or firearms/weapons.
- No lewd, inappropriate, or offensive photos.
- Your image must fill the entire top section of the cutout with no gaps or spaces or it is likely to be rejected. For best results, place your head as close as possible to the top of the cutout.