The 2018 recruiting cycle is in full swing for the Arizona Wildcats. To keep you up-to-date with the goings on, every week the brand new Weekly Situation Report (SITREP) will keep you posted on interviews, offers, commits, and updated 2018 commitment list that happen throughout the week.
Since this is brand new, this first rendition contains articles and offers over the past three weeks. Enjoy!
The Tulare Union High School (Tulare, CA) athlete has started to see his recruitment pick up since his first offer came in January from the Wildcats. Allen talks to head coach Rich Rodriguez, who is the member of the staff who offered him. He plans on taking a visit to Arizona along with San Jose State, Nevada, and Boise State within the next few months.
Allen does have high interest in Arizona. He likes the football program and the fact that the Wildcats were the first program to believe in him and give him a chance.
Mataele, a 3-star athlete from Santa Margarita Catholic High School (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA), is up to 11 offers, which now include Arizona, Stanford, and UCLA. All schools are recruiting him as an athlete, and it’s hard not to see why. He is a playmaker as a wide receiver, cornerback, and as a kick returner.
Mataele has taken only one unofficial — to UCLA — but wants to sit down with his family to make a plan to visit the schools who have offered him. Arizona will most likely make that list.
When it comes to communication with the Arizona staff, he talks to his lead recruiter — LB coach Scott Boone — the most. Mataele has high interest in Arizona and likes the opportunity to play as a true freshman in Tucson.
The Desert Pines High School (Las Vegas, NV) standout made his way down to Tucson with a group of players from Las Vegas for an unofficial visit. He enjoyed his visit, stating that he loved the campus, facilities, and coaching staff. He even spent time with freshman linebacker Tony Fields II. Mitchell has high interest in Arizona as well, and the ‘Cats are at the top of his list.
When it comes to his recruitment he is now up to three offers, with UNLV being his most recent. Besides another visit to Arizona, Mitchell is looking at UNLV, Nevada, Boise State, and BYU as destinations for visits.
The USC defensive tackle transfer — originally from Liberty High School (Henderson, NV) — visited Tucson and left with a new home. Jefferson decided to join the Wildcats after his visit.
Measuring 6-foot-6 and 315 pounds, Jefferson will add much-needed beef along the interior line. He suffered a shoulder injury after the first game of the 2016 season and due to that and other issues, he missed pretty much the entirety of the year. As of now, he will have to sit out the 2017 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
After the Wildcats lost 4-star quarterback Braxton Burmeister to the Oregon Ducks, it looked like they would only bring in one quarterback in the class. That changed after signing day. The 3-star Macon County High School (Montezuma, GA) product visited Arizona for their first spring practice a few weeks ago. He left with an offer and as a 2017 Wildcat commit.
After not hearing on whether he has signed or not, the official word came last Friday. Lane officially signed his letter of intent during a ceremony at his high school. The university made it official the following Monday when they received his NLI.
The Red Rifle (Lane’s nickname) threw for a state record 56 touchdowns compared to his two interceptions during his senior season. At 6-foot-0 and 222 pounds, he doesn’t have the build of a traditional quarterback, but he sure can sling the ball all over the field.
- James Foster: Lanier HS (Montgomery, AL)/DT-QB/6-foot-3/196 pounds/3*
- Travis Mumphrey: John Ehret HS (Marrero, LA)/DT-QB/6-foot-1/175 pounds/0*/2019
- Miles Battle: Cypress Creek HS (Houston, TX)/WR/6-foot-4/182 pounds/3*
- Jacob Copeland: Escambia HS (Pensacola, FL)/WR/6-foot-1/188 pounds/4*
- Trey Lowe: Jesuit HS (Portland, OR)/WR/5-foot-10/180 pounds/4*
- Jalen Nailor: Bishop Gorman HS (Las Vegas, NV)/WR/6-foot/175 pounds/3*
- Gunner Romney: Chandler HS (Chandler, AZ)/WR/6-foot-1/170 pounds/3*
- Khalil Shakir: Vista Murrieta HS (Murrieta, CA)/WR/5-foot-11/171 pounds/4*
- Braeden Daniels: Hebron HS (Carrollton, TX)/OG/6-foot-4/275 pounds/3*
- Chasen Hines: Marshall HS (Marshall, TX)/C/6-foot-3/340 pounds/4*
- Jamarcus Chatman: Rome HS (Rome, GA)/DE/6-foot-3/255 pounds/4*
- Tayland Humphrey: Klein Oak HS (Spring, TX)/DT/6-foot-6/365 pounds/0*/Hutch CC
- Azur Kamara: Central HS (Phoenix, AZ)/DE/6-foot-4/225 pounds/0*/Arizona Western
- Adam Plant: Bishop Gorman HS (Las Vegas, NV)/DE/6-foot-4/240 pounds/3*
- Starrland Baldwin Jr: Cypress Falls HS (Houston, TX)/CB/5-foot-10/160 pounds/3*
- D’Shawn Jamison: Lamar HS (Houston, TX)/CB/5-foot-10/173 pounds/4*
- Christian Young: Foster HS (Richmond, TX)/CB/6-foot-1/191 pounds/0*
- Isheem Young: Imhotep Charter HS (Philadelphia, PA)/S/5-foot-11/196 pounds/4*
- Taye Barber: Cypress Springs HS (Cypress, TX)/ATH/5-foot-10/175 pounds/3*
Noah Jefferson: Liberty HS (Henderson, NV)/DT/6-foot-6/315 pounds/USC Transfer
Jamarye Joiner: Cienega HS (Vail, AZ)/DT-QB/6-foot-3/200 pounds/3*