Arizona soccer hired Brian Periman as an assistant coach on Friday, finalizing Becca Moros’ staff for the 2021 season. Periman, a Tucson native, arrives after a season at North Texas. He will coach the goalkeepers.
“I’m excited to welcome Brian to our technical staff,” Moros said in a statement. “He is a competitive, passionate and caring coach, and he will be a great fit for what we are trying to do here at Arizona. In addition to his goalkeeping expertise, he will bring valuable experience recruiting and evaluating players.”
This is actually Periman’s second stint at Arizona. He was an assistant under Lisa Oyen in 2012 and a volunteer coach under Oyen in 2010. Periman also has college assistant coaching experience at New Mexico State, FIU, East Carolina, FAU, High Point, and Florida Atlantic.
He’s also served as a talent ID scout for the U.S. youth national teams with a focus on the central and west region.
Periman holds a bachelor’s degree in Business Management from Menlo College in Atherton, California where he was a goalkeeper. He played professionally for the San Jose Frogs (2008-10) and FC Tucson (2011).
Moros’ other assistant is Lorraine Quinn, who’s hiring was announced last week. She arrives from Texas State.
“I am extremely honored for the opportunity to be a part of the Wildcat Family,” Periman said. “I am looking forward to helping coach Moros execute her vision for the program and the student-athletes on and off the field. Bear Down!”
Gonzaga released its 2021 schedule this week and Arizona indeed will host the Bulldogs this season. That matchup is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 16 at 7 p.m MST. It was agreed upon months ago but head coaching changes often mean schedule changes.
The Bulldogs are a solid squad, compiling a winning season every year since 2017.
While Arizona has not released its schedule yet, here are some confirmed games and dates.
- Friday, Aug. 20 — at Utah Valley
- Friday, Aug. 27 — vs. NAU
- Thursday, Sept. 2 — vs. LSU (in Tempe)
- Sunday, Sept. 5 — vs. Cal State Northridge (in Tempe)
- Thursday, Sept. 9 — vs. Texas Tech
- Sunday, Sept. 12 — vs. Nebraska
- Thursday, Sept. 16 — vs. Gonzaga
- Friday, Sept. 24 — at Washington State
- Thursday, Sept. 30 — vs. UCLA
- Sunday, Oct. 3 — vs. USC
- Thursday, Oct. 7 — at Oregon
- Sunday, Oct. 11 — at Oregon State
- Friday, Oct. 15 — vs. Washington
- Thursday, Oct. 21 — at Cal
- Sunday, Oct. 24 — at Stanford
- Thursday, Oct. 28 — vs. Utah
- Sunday, Oct. 31 — vs. Colorado
- Friday, Nov. 5 — vs. Arizona State