Eight Women’s College World Series were held without the Arizona Wildcats. The eight-year drought matched the eight titles the storied program has won.
Fans, alumnae, media, and the softball community have responded. What’s everyone saying?
Softball alumnae who have been there
- Tucson native and former Arizona pitcher Kenzie Fowler Quinn was on the 2010 team that made the Wildcats’ last trip to Oklahoma City.
YESSS @ArizonaSoftball!!!— Kenzie Fowler Quinn (@KenzieFowler19) May 26, 2019
ALL. THE. FEELS.
HUGEEEE game from @DenhamAlyssa ✨✨
- Wildcat legend Jennie Finch had something to say, too.
YES!!!!! GO CATs! Way to bear down!!!!! ❤️ ❤️ OKC Bound! @ArizonaSoftball @CoachCandreaUA https://t.co/NnnR2yVpiY— Jennie Finch (@JennieFinch) May 26, 2019
- Leah O’Brien-Amico brought an Olympic feel to the party.
Congrats from #USASoftball three-time Olympian and @ArizonaSoftball alum @leah20usa!#RedWhiteAndCollege pic.twitter.com/cjrtEHsdVl— USA Softball (@USASoftball) May 26, 2019
- Toni Mascarenas, former Wildcat and aunt of Alyssa Palomino-Cardoza, has something to say about those butterflies, eyeblack, and getting Candrea back to Oklahoma City.
all in the same direction! ONE MORE!! ALL alumni are cheering for ya @ArizonaSoftball !! #NOEYEBLACK #doitforCoach #ALLGASNOBRAKES— Toni Mascarenas (@tmas32) May 25, 2019
Softball alumnae who experienced the heartbreak of the drought
- Danielle O’Toole was on the last team that hosted a Super Regional. She watched some of her former teammates complete the journey they couldn’t quite get done in 2017.
Very proud to be an alum of @ArizonaSoftball right now.— Danielle O’Toole (@Oh_tooly3) May 26, 2019
- Arizona’s current career home-run queen watches as current Wildcat Jessie Harper makes a run at her record.
Huge congrats to @ArizonaSoftball for cashing in on there ticket to OKC! Also a big congratulations to the seniors! Live to play another day in that wildcat uniform! #BTFD ❤️— Kati (@katiyana_13) May 26, 2019
Other great Wildcats
- You have to be tough to play football, too, I guess.
Amazing showing for @ArizonaSoftball and @CoachCandreaUA. Heading to the Women's College World Series. #BEARDOWN !!!— Chuck Cecil (@chuckcecil26) May 26, 2019
- Harper gets the Wildcats back into the dugout in the bottom of the sixth inning.
Defensive wizardry on display by Jessie Harper!#NCAASoftball | @ArizonaSoftball pic.twitter.com/diuc0oioVx— NCAA Softball (@NCAAsoftball) May 26, 2019
- A young pitcher who deals with the same challenges as the Arizona ace gets a picture with her hero.
My daughter met her hero after the UofA victory! A pitcher just like her who only has vision in one eye! Thank you Taylor for taking a moment to take a picture with Rori! @ArizonaSoftball pic.twitter.com/QOcInVIsrK— Andrea L Divijak (@a_divijak) May 26, 2019
The softball community
- Alyssa Denham spent her first year at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette before her coach was fired. His admiration for her game hasn’t waned, though. He reached out with congratulations for Denham and her current coach.
@DenhamAlyssa @CoachCandreaUA CONGRATS,so happy 4 both of y’all. The journey back to the WCWS is worth IT.Enjoy it! don’t take it 4 granted. It’s a “special” accomplishment & indescribable experience whether it’s your 1st time or 20th something. No better feeling pic.twitter.com/HDpayrRbVs— Michael Lotief (@CoachMikeLotief) May 26, 2019
- Cindy Bristow, the pitching coach at UC-Riverside, weighs in on the importance of having Arizona in the Women’s College World Series.
Welcome back @ArizonaSoftball and @CoachCandreaUA! The game's biggest stage has missed you, & pumped to have you back!! https://t.co/llpdVmLCTI— Cindy Bristow (@cindybristow) May 26, 2019
- UCLA softball alum Jen Schroeder is excited for her former opponent.
I didn’t realize I would be THIS excited for Arizona Softball to be back in #OKC.— Jen Schroeder (@jen_schro) May 26, 2019
Seeing Candrea emotional yesterday made me emotional.
I am VERY happy for the Wildcats.
- As soon as the game was over, the Wildcats ran to the outfield to change the sign on the outfield wall.
Arizona softball players took, what, 2 minutes, to affix a large "23'' sticker to outfield wall at Hillenbrand Stadium tonight, 23rd time in school history it is going to College World Series. That's planning ahead and then some.— Greg Hansen (@ghansen711) May 26, 2019
- Did the Wildcats complete a unique feat on their way to the postseason?
If UCLA, Washington and Florida get in (all three hosting, up a game in their super regionals and could get in as early as tonight), and Arizona gets in, too, @ArizonaSoftball will have played ALL 7 other #WCWS teams. Serious question: Is that something that happens often? https://t.co/U1OuDFlbpl— Brett Fera (@brettfera) May 26, 2019
- ESPN’s Michele Smith is impressed by the effect pitching coach Taryne Mowatt has had on two different pitching staffs.
Totally agree Karen! @tarynemowatt worked magic with @OleMissSoftball and now again with the pitching staff @ArizonaSoftball Will be fun to see them at the #WCWS again! https://t.co/PfbzHOUDvw— Michele Smith (@MicheleSmith32) May 26, 2019
Current and former members of the UA Athletic Department
- Former Arizona women’s basketball coach Joan Bonvicini got to watch Adia Barnes have a spectacular year turning around the Wildcats on the hardwood just a few months ago. On Saturday, she got prime seats to watch softball clinch their WCWS berth.
Let’s go @ArizonaSoftball!! Best seats in the house other than the dugout. Rita Hillenbrand is the best softball facility in @NCAAsoftball #BEARDOWN pic.twitter.com/fjuM6Q2Rau— Joan Bonvicini (@CoachBonvicini) May 26, 2019
- Cheering in the press box? How can you blame Arizona’s communications staff, especially Danny Martinez, who is there every day with the team?
No cheering in the press box but LETS GO @dannynmartinez!!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/of4u5QEtVC— Adam Gonzales (@agonzales43) May 26, 2019
To keep up with all of our coverage of the NCAA softball postseason—including the Women’s College World Series—visit our softball section.