The University of Arizona announced Sunday that a limited number of fans will be able to attend Wildcat baseball and softball games moving forward. The release did not include any attendance figures, but sources say that, initially, approximately 1,600 fans/guests will be allowed at UA baseball games at Hi Corbett Field and roughly 425 fans/guests will be permitted at softball games at Hillenbrand Stadium.
That is roughly 16% capacity. For reference, that is slightly lower than most—but not all—MLB teams are planning to welcome in to begin the 2021 season. The Boston Red Sox, for instance, are only planning to operate at 12% capacity at Fenway Park. The Arizona Diamondbacks will be at 25%.
SEC schools like Auburn, Ole Miss and Alabama are operating between 20-30% capacity. Arizona State recently reopened their baseball and soccer games to fans, and welcomed close to 800 folks to their baseball games vs. Utah this past weekend.
The UA’s plan is subject to change based on the local COVID-19 conditions. Arizona baseball’s next home game is Thursday. Softball is out of town until March 26.
“We’ll continue to move forward based on the best science, based on the great advice we get from our public health advisory team,” task force leader Dr. Richard Carmona said at the UA weekly press briefing. “And if we see that the numbers stop, if the numbers go back, and show that we are starting to peak again, we’ll stop and go back to a previous stage. ... We make smart decisions based on the epidemiological data. And assuming that as we give our students, faculty and community the privilege to come together, that they continue to adhere to the public health best practices.”
According to an email sent out to baseball and softball season-ticket holders, those practices at Hi Corbett and Hillenbrand will be...
- Wearing a mask at all times
- Completing the University of Arizona’s Daily Wellness Check on the day of the event prior to arriving and showing completion to event staff before entering the facility
- Sitting in the designated seat assignment on your ticket at all times except for the use of restrooms
- Adhering to Arizona Athletics’ clear bag policy
- Concessions stands will not be open. Snacks and sealed non-alcoholic beverages will be permitted. More information regarding food options to come.
- Gates will open 60 minutes prior to the start of the event and any remaining ticket sales, if available, will end 90 minutes after first pitch at baseball and after the third inning at softball
Go HERE for info on how the ticketing process will work.